Day 14: Successes That Surprised Me – Unexpected Wins and How They Made Me Feel by Phekwalayan

 


Day 14: Successes That Surprised Me – Unexpected Wins and How They Made Me Feel


For the longest time, one major unexpected win that still sits in my heart as a pleasant surprise was when I was named the overall best continuing student in my department among other students of other departments.


When I resumed school after a brief detour, my only goal wasn’t to be the best , it was simply to give my best. I just wanted to make myself and my family proud. I had no ambiguous ambition beyond reading my books, passing every course, and doing what needed to be done. All I knew was to keep pushing, quietly, consistently, and without fanfare.


So when the document of the award landed in my hands, I broke down in tears right in my room. It was such a raw moment, first I was shocked, then an overwhelming wave of joy hit me. All the sleepless nights, all the TDBs (Till Day Breaks, What is sleep!? 😅), all the sacrifices, they were seen. They were acknowledged.


Me!? the same guy some once labeled as a failure a few years ago, now being celebrated for such a remarkable academic feat? It felt surreal.


Throughout the rest of that semester, I walked with my shoulders a little higher, not out of arrogance, but out of a deep sense of pride and growth. I had earned this. I had fought for it, quietly. And the reward came, not because I chased perfection, but because I remained consistent in giving my best.


I even recently checked my school portal dashboard and noticed something humbling, from 300 level to 500 level, my GPA never dropped below the 4.0 range. If only I had started with that same fire in 100 level, maybe I would have legitimately be a First Class Lala 😅. But still, I’m deeply grateful. Finishing strong meant more to me than starting perfectly.(Greater is the end of a thing than it's beginning 😋)


This reflection taught me a powerful lesson: when you struggle to be the best, the journey can easily be clouded by desperation, shortcuts, and pressure to outperform others. But when your focus is to do your best, everything flows from a place of growth, zeal, and inner strength. That’s where true, fulfilling success is born, the kind that surprises even you.


#becoming #30daysofreflection

#journeysofar

Post a Comment

0 Comments